Pages

Sunday, November 5, 2017

Day 5- the horrors of sugar free candy

When I was first diagnosed, I was gifted with a few bags of sugar free candy. I tried it, but it never sat well with me. I'd have a serving, it would still spike my blood sugar, and it didn't taste nearly as good as regular candy.
One day, I was distracted with a football game. It wasn't long after diagnosis, I was sitting watching a football game on tv, and was in the mode of mindless snacking. I'd pop a piece into my mouth, chew it, swallow it, and grab another - and had about three servings of hard candies before the inevitable happened. I ran to the bathroom and spent an hour in agony.
It turns out sugar free candy can act as a laxative. From that fateful day on, I've not touched sugar free candy. I will and do eat the regular stuff, and bolus accordingly. No more laxative-by-accident incidents.

If you are reading this as a non-diabetic, please remember to not gift a Type 1 with this stuff. It is an incredibly sweet gesture, it's very considerate, and I can attest to being appreciative of the time it takes to get someone a gift seemingly tailored to their needs.
Aside from it having a laxative effect, the flavor is not the same as the regular stuff, the texture of the chocolate is inferior, and we still need to take insulin to cover the carbs. Despite being labeled as sugar free, there are still carbs, and in general we must take insulin when we ingest them.

No comments:

Post a Comment