Pages

Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Day 28- alcohol and T1D

I am not a big drinker. I never got wasted before I was legal to drive, vote, or drink. I had my first sip of anything alcoholic a few weeks before my twenty first birthday.
I never really drank much until I got married and felt like I had a safe person with whom I could let go and test my limits. I got sick drunk a few times in my era of delinquent diabetic life. Now I will have the occasional glass of sweet wine, or a fruity mixed drink.
I learned what I enjoy, what I can tolerate, and what messes up my bloodsugars.
I can't really drink most liquors without an extremely fine balancing act which an alcohol softened brain will fail at maintaining. I can have about 8 ounces of moscato with no ill effects. I don't enjoy beer but will drink it when out of options at a social gathering.
Unless my bloodsugars are out of whack to begin with, I rarely drink enough water in a day much less any other beverages outside of coffee, so if I go out to a restaurant, I order water, it costs nothing and I have a refreshing cool drink  rather than another caffeine laced diet soda.
Tonight, I am going on day 5 of 4 hours of sleep at night or less, so I opened a bottle of wine, had a glass of it and am heading to  bed early so I can actually fall asleep before 3am.
As a woman, I am wary on drinking anywhere. As a wife, I make sure one of us is safe to drive when we are out, as a mom, there is no consumption if the husband is traveling. As a T1, I base my choices on how hard I wish to battle the blood.  Some days it's worth the extra blood tests and others, I say forget it and stick to water.

No comments:

Post a Comment