Pages

Monday, November 13, 2017

Day 13 - dental fear

Dental work terrifies me, how about you?

As a kid I went to the dentist rarely. It wasn't something we did often but was needed at times. As I got into my teens, my parents' insurance changed and we lost dental coverage. When most kids got braces, we didn't. I became ashamed of my teeth, and still am to this day.
After I married, I decided to start with yearly check-ups and saw a dentist who put a deep fear of them in me. In the last few years, I've found a dentist who offer sedation and helps with people who have a phobia of dentists.  They're amazing. They've always been kind. Recently I had a crown placed on one of my molars and something has gone wrong. I apparently had bad decay in that tooth and the nerve is being stimulated now. My regular dentist sent me to an endodontist since their office does not offer that service.  The new guy doesn't offer sedation, so I was duly petrified over the prospect of having them drilling and filling and all sorts of things I've never experienced before. He was as kind as possible and offered a pill sedative to take before the appointment. Wednesday I go back for either a root canal or a permanent filling. I'm still feeling a whole lot of anxiety but trust this endodontist based on his "bedside" manner.
I am also relying heavily on my faith that whatever happens, God will be with me and I will be able to handle it.
So, how do you feel about dentists?

No comments:

Post a Comment