Pages

Saturday, November 18, 2017

Day 18 - travel is a headache with T1D

Traveling can be so much fun. We get to see places and people we haven't seen in a long time. When you have T1D, you not only have to pack all the normal things one would when going out of town for a few days. I travel by car normally, so having to keep my luggage under a weight limit is not concerning for me.
 I pack my clothing in one bag, my toiletries and electronics in another, and all the medical supplies get their own bag. In addition,  I carry my purse EVERYWHERE. I have my everyday supplies with me at all times- low snacks, new pod, emergency insulin vial, glucagon, syringes, and extra test strips. When traveling, I take a fortnight's worth of pods, a fresh vial of insulin, and two extra Dexcom sensors. I also pack ibuprofen, bandaids, and other miscellaneous first aid supplies because I am a total klutz.

When arranging baggage in a sedan, clothes and items that won't be harmed in freezing or unbearably hot weather get stashed in the trunk, while electronic and medical "crap" stay in the passenger area. Nothing like needing a pod change and having spoiled insulin.

I prefer to bring along extras, it makes me feel safe knowing my arse is covered if I have complete medical device failure.

Along with knowing the medical paraphernalia I must lug along anywhere away from home comes the trouble with bloodsugars. We drive a dozen hours one way to see family in one part of the country. That means hours of sitting and doing squat, playing the "I have the munchies but can't work off the carbs game" so I must choose to rage bolus and enjoy my ride or be less indulgent. Sometimes when I go the route of indulgent and bolus crazy, I get it right, and I stay in range. Other times I've gone high and still others have gone low. Again with the same routine, different results deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment