Pages

Thursday, November 16, 2017

Day 16 - vision issues

I am in my early 30s. I was a delinquent diabetic for years. The result of that is I have had damage to my vision. I started out with needing glasses but never wore them as I managed to drive fine and I pre-planned where I needed to go. My sight was limited for distance. I had trouble reading road signs from long distances.
Once the diabetes did it's damage to my eyes, I developed the beginning stages of diabetic retinopathy. That phrase means that the tiny capillaries in the backs of my eyeballs have burst. If this worsens I will go blind.
Another complication I developed was cataracts. I had surgery to remove the affected lenses and had artificial ones placed. Due to scar tissue, I had another surgery a year later to remove that.
 Now, I wear no-line bi-focal glasses that allow me to read and to see long distances more easily.

Driving at night is uncomfortable thanks to starbursts of light from all light sources. It is doable but not what I prefer.

As always I fight my own body so I don't lose even more of myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment