Pages

Thursday, March 10, 2016

I don't mean to....

I truly don't intend to fast. Somehow it happens. I get up, test my blood, try to remember to swallow my levo, and grab a cup of coffee. The kids have a habit of waking up before me, and when they feel a disturbance in the force notice I've woken up, they come at me like a hailstorm of bullets in an old war movie. They want things. Things like food, drink, attention, praise, hugs, food, to know if we are going anywhere, food, to let the dogs outside, to let the cats inside, to feed the hens, (and did I mention they ask for breakfast?)--all before I have taken that first blessed sip of brewed happiness.
So by the time I get my kids and animals fed and hydrated, checked my messages via phone or internet, and taken care of cleaning up from the aftermath of food consumption, I'm ready to sit down. That may not be in the cards on an average morning. I still have to get a second sip of coffee in, and hopefully by then it is still warm, if not fully cold.  By the time I get a chance to eat, I may be dropping low from going on no fuel.
I can get lucky some days and fix myself up a nice steaming hot bowl of oatmeal or grits. Oatmeal is my favorite lately. I love my kitchen scale more than I ought to, but I do love it so very much. I can weigh my dry food, cook the oatmeal, the zero out the scale and weigh my add-in of butter, cream, and sugar (if I use the real stuff that day). Then I can accurately bolus for my food AFTER I've eaten it. Those are good days, those in which I can eat oatmeal before noon. Not so good days mean I am battling my willpower against the desire to stop in at crackdonalds for a large order of crispy fried potatoes. I swear they much add something to their fries to be that addictive. The worst days are those where I bring Berry to school and it's time to pick her up after 3pm, yet I still haven't ingested more than a few sips of coffee.
I really dislike those days. Sure, my numbers are fine; but that gnawing aching hunger by dinnertime is just not worth it. It's also negatively impacting my weight loss. I don't lose pounds from not eating, instead my over 30-year-old metabolism is greatly decreased by the lack of food. Unless I eat frequent small meals, my metabolism seems to be at a standstill.

So I dislike missing meals and I do not intentionally fast without doc's orders. Ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment