Pages

Sunday, March 6, 2016

Backwards 'betic

In each conversation with a diabetic educator when swapping up insulin delivery methods, I am always told to bolus or inject for my food THEN eat. I refuse to do that. Too many times since becoming diabetic I did just that and it bit me in the arse so to speak. I used to do it the "right" way but no more. A few years ago, I had Berry. That meant my food schedule was gone. After a couple days with low blood sugars from not eating all I bolused for, I quit.
Now I only bolus after I eat. Some days I will sit down with a set amount of food already measured, but I sometimes get full before I eat all on my plate. Instead of dropping low from too much insulin on too little food, I only bolus for what I have already eaten.
I get "the look" from my educator or my endo. I don't care and after a few years, they know I'm not going to do it their way.

I don't have hypoglycemic episodes due to meal time carb to insulin ratios being off now. I get hypos for other reasons but tha is not one of those reasons.

There are times like last night where I eat something I have not had in months. I only ate those things after I had Baby Bear and stopped being responsible with my health. I didn't know if they had adverse effects on my numbers or if they had no other effects than normal carbs. Last night I found out. I had about a half dozen Ghirardelli squares. I was hanging normal around 89-115. I was stoked! For every bite of rice cake, chocolate, and peanut butter, I bolused. I woke up at 3am at 156 and corrected. Then I awoke at 6:28 at 311! ACK!
So, no more half dozen chocolate squares with my evening tv watching.


No comments:

Post a Comment