Pages

Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Vehicular nonsense

I have been lucky that no minivan-killing deer have visited me lately. I'm still driving Cara, my plain jane white Dodge. After having an unknown number of cross country trips in the beast, I am loving some things about her and really disliking others.
Loves:
-she has a dvd player and headphones built-in. Best convenience feature on long road trips when my kids are not yet reading and keep dropping toys. They could have the headphones in their laps and hear a movie without parental intervention. gave them an easy segue into sleeping.
-she had stow-n-go seats so the under the floor storage is where I can keep a first aid kit, jumper cables, a tool kit, and even winter gear as needed.
-she has a roof rack with which we use to strap our soft top cargo carrier down
-she has dual climate control settings in the front row and ability to lock out or allow rear climate control
-many other things I am not getting into today
-we have a 6 cylinder engine and has the power to get up and go as needed
-we have enough cargo room when the back rows of seats are stowed away to haul stuff like a full sized sofa, plywood sheets, mattresses, pea gravel, play sand, concrete mix and various DIY implements. This makes her a beast.
-we installed a tow hitch so we can pull a trailer
Dislikes:
-the cloth seats are not stain resistant
-she is white and shows every speck of dirt we pick up on gravel roads
-she is a brick on wheels and gets low gas mileage
-she is a brick on wheels with front wheel drive and has trouble getting up slick inclines

Overall, my Cara is a fine mommy van.
My realistic dream vehicle for around town and grocery trips is a Subaru Forrester. Four wheel drive, a decent cargo area for groceries, seats five, and just a smaller footprint

My fantasy dream vehicle seats 5; is a hybrid to increase gas mileage; has a roof rack; has an engine-charged generator system so I can plug in a crock pot, a laptop, or tablets as needed; has an entertainment system; has lots of easy to clean storage cubbies; has stow n go seating; basically has everything for convenience and making road trips and in town trips more pleasant.

No comments:

Post a Comment