Pages

Saturday, January 23, 2016

Feeling inspired

I don't make resolutions each new year. I make up in my mind a hopeful goal to be healthier but never actually make a solid resolution.
This year I just went with it. I want to be healthy. After spending half my life with bad A1c numbers (the only time they were ever near normal was during my pregnancies), suffering from some of  the foretold complications, and just feeling overwhelmed with this juggling act and failing, I am DONE.
I am feeling more confident in my abilities to manage my diabetes and integrating the needed changes into my daily life. I have dreams and a conscious desire for a career. I cannot do that if I am slowly killing myself with complications.
This year, I am going to actively strive for control. I will force myself to get my lazy self up and test my blood. I will use that hunk of plastic I call Violet in the manner intended. I may even *gasp* try the CGM again.
This year I want to get things done. I want to be the mom my girls deserve. I want to be the active supportive wife my husband deserves. I want to be a healthy person so my family does not worry over me.
To achieve these wants, I need organization and self discipline.

Each time I leave my house, I need to carry my supplies, and with it being wintertime, I can't just leave a set of supplies in my van. That whole sub-freezing temperatures thing makes a popsicle out of a vial of insulin. Frozen insulin = no insulin. This means I need to conscientiously pack a purse. This thing needs to have a source of glucose, extra insulin, syringes, replacement sites, my meter kit, along with other paraphernalia needed as a mom. I dislike purses, as I can never find one I like that is functional.  Anyone who has ever met me in person knows I am not a girly girl. Hell, I'm in my thirties and just now am accepting of pink colored things.  The lack of my  girliness means I don't go purse shopping just for the fun of it. I don't have a plethora of choices. I'm more of a solid color canvas tote type of girl. This means I have to find a new purse for my diabetic needs. Joy!
Once I get used to carrying everything in a purse again and being a good 'betic and actually testing regularly (rather than as an afterthought when I wake up feeling hungover despite not having alcohol in forever and finding my meter greeting me with actual words rather than a number) it will be easier to lug around a bag. I prefer my phone in one back pocket, my cash or card in another, and my keys at my hip. That doesn't work well with being prepared for an emergency, so a purse or bag it is.
If anyone actually reads this thing, do you use a bag or purse to carry your diabetes accouterments?

No comments:

Post a Comment