Pages

Monday, July 18, 2011

On doctors, coding, and other bull hockey

Boog went to the neurologist in late April. she was examined and diagnosed as developmentally delayed according to the words of the doctor. He prescribed physical and occupational therapy to help her get on track. I fought with insurance and finally found somewhere to take her that was equipped with staff who knew what she needed. Cut to this past friday, the fifteenth of July. We get a bill stating several hundred dollars was due by 7-31-11. Naturally, I called to find out from the doctor's office and from the insurance company just what was going on. After two brief phone calls, I learned the official coding for the appointment was "Early intervention" and that was A's diagnosis. Insuracne refuses to cover early intervention anything. I called first thing this Monday morning, and was given the run-around by the nurse for that neurologist. I call back at twenty minutes before the office closes and it turns put the nurse lied to me about speaking with their billing person, as she was out today.
The nurse told me she would speak with the lady in billing and have her call me back. She did not disclose that the billing person was on vacation still.
I will not be paying this bill. Insurance will or the darn doctor will eat the cost because I'll be damned if I am paying fro 15 minutes of time with a guy I could barely understand when he spoke, and who seemed to not give a rat's butt about proper terminology and wording when speaking directly to him much less in coding and billing.
I am beyond ticked off. This is not right. We did not go see him because A was suffering from "Early intervention" but from "developmental delay". Argh!

No comments:

Post a Comment